Awards

Guess who is going to be at the ALA book awards announcements in Philadelphia on Monday morning? Not me! My lovely, lucky, talented mother who is on the Pura Belpre committee will be calling me on her new cell phone early in the morning with the news. We, being book lovers and Newbery/Caldecott collectors, will try our best to get our hands on first editions of the winners and honors before breakfast Monday morning. It is a crazy fun adventure that I look forward to every year.
There are numerous mock committees held at libraries around the country and much discussion on the web in anticipation of the announcements. I have always appreciated the unpredictability of the winners, although there is no lack of predictions. Here are one (knowledgeable) person's predictions . . . Fuse #8