On a roll

Most afternoons, after nap/rest time, we head down the street for some picking.
I picked up these roller skates at a recent garage sale for $4. With a pair of thick socks they fit well.


I use Lydia in the stroller as my crutch. Sahara hops on her Skuut and we roll on down to the grape wall.


From afar, even up close, you wouldn't notice that these vines are covered with sweet grapes. Hundreds of pounds of them. Nobody, except for a few neighbors in the know, harvests them. The property on the west side is vacant and the house to the east in a rental. I knocked on their door last summer, as new tenants had recently moved in, to ask permission. The young gal looked at me like I was a strange old lady who was just a bit too friendly. Then she saw Sahara and smiled with approval. Amazing what having a kid around can do for you.


If you've been around, you may remember we picked great bunches last summer and pressed them into juice. This year we just pick small bundles that we slowly savor on our ride back home.
FYI - roller skating, while pushing a baby in a stroller, while keeping an eye on a riding 4 year old, while eating grapes puts one at high risk for mishaps. I have some bruises and a scraped up knee to prove it.