In the garden

Before the rains and chill return for the weekend we have been spending as much time in the sunshine as possible. Mostly we hang out in the garden.


Sahara, being closer to the ground than I, notices little treasures popping up all over the place. Her favorite flower to pick in the garden this week is our Pink Panda, an ornamental strawberry, which does produce small fruit perfect for little fingers to pluck. I think we got a few plants from Hope years ago, and now they are all over our front yard, along with the Labrador Violets and Blue Star Creeper.
There are plant sales on our calendar every weekend for the next month and a half. At the last one we went to, a fundraiser for Food for Lane County, I went overboard with onion starts. We use onions in almost every dinner, so I am determined to grow more storage onions this season. Today I began planting them and realized, once again, that we don't have enough space for all that we plan on growing. We keep daydreaming that our neighbor to the west, a Tibeten monk who smiles at us daily on his walks, will sell us his property and we can convert his lawn to an urban orchard.
I didn't make it to Hendricks Park for my first photo shoot with the new camera. Instead, I draped a towel over a chair, propped Lydia up, and snapped away while Sahara was napping up front.