Stone Soup



Sahara's favorite soup is "Pink Soup." I made it for the first time a couple of months ago after checking out Deborah Madison's Local Flavors from the library. It was good and I made note to self to photocopy it before returning it. I didn't get around to returning it for quite some time so I made it again a month or so ago and it turned out way too salty. ??? So I took some of the broth out, replaced it with water and added extra vinegar. It was alright in my opinion; Sahara didn't seem to notice the flavor as much as the color. She has asked for it numerous times since then.

I did eventually return the book, but forgot to photocopy the recipe (too long to jot down in decent handwriting). So I checked it out again this week and WOW the soup was amazing.

Sahara heard the folktale "Stone Soup" which provided the inspiration for making the "Pink Soup" again. We decided to find a nice stone from the garden for soup and then picked up a few other ingredients at our favorite grocery store. We started early in the morning by making the broth, then chopping all the veggies up. I let Sahara use a sharp (sort-of) knife for the first time and she cut carrots, celery and cabbage for almost an hour, shaking her hand out every 10 minutes or so.
While I let our big pot simmer, she made an extra batch in her own kitchen for Lydia to "pretend eat."

I adjusted the recipe slightly. I'm not convinced that is why it turned out to be divine. I think spending the whole day working on it with Sahara is what made it so good. I will soon put the recipe onto the "Recipes" section for you to try if you would like. I highly recommend it.